One thing that I used to love eating in Tucson is a good breakfast burrito. Scrambled eggs, cheese, avocado, crispy potatoes and salsa wrapped in a soft, flaky, homemade tortilla… it’s kind of my idea of heaven on a plate.
Being in England and eating a plant-based diet means that I can’t enjoy this dish any more. So, I decided it was time to take things into my own hands and recreate this dish with my own version of tofu scramble tacos with homemade tortillas, crispy potatoes and homemade salsa. The first time I made this dish my guinea pig (Andrew) said, “This is fucking delicious.” Well, if that’s not a great endorsement, I’m not sure what is!
I use black Himalayan salt which gives an “eggy” flavor to the dish – it’s actually quite remarkable. Don’t worry though, if you don’t have it you can still make this dish with normal salt.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package firm tofu, well drained
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black Himalayan salt (or normal salt)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed with your fingers
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons water
- Stir the spice blend together in a small cup with the water and set aside
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil for about a minute
- Break the tofu apart into small bite sized pieces and saute for about 10 minutes, stirring often
- After 10 minutes, add the spice blend and mix to incorporate
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, adjust seasoning to taste, and enjoy!